Pages

5/27/2014

Wolfenstein: The New Order Review

Wolfenstein: The New Order Review

By Rafael Coplin



Wolfenstein The New Order is a reboot of the classic World War II shooter Wolfenstein 3D. Unlike Wolfenstein games before it The New Order takes place in an alternate 1960's where Nazi Germany won world war 2. You play as B.J. Blazcowicz, professional Nazi killer, and you are humanity's last hope against the horrifying Nazi war machine. Now that you more or less know what the game is about, allow me to tell you both the good and bad things about it. 

Wolfenstein: The New Order focuses a lot on gun play. It takes the classic 10 weapon slot inventory from Wolfenstein 3D, but adds a more up to date feel to it. The gun play is smooth and fun as hell, especially when dual wielding automatic shotguns. One thing I will say even though it's fun to see nazi soldiers explode in a barrage of hell fire from your two fully automatic weapons it is very inefficient. Ammo depletes way too fast to make dual wielding a viable tactic for any battle.

Another thing that the game uses a lot is stealth there are areas where they have commanders stationed if you can kill them while avoiding detection they can't call in more troops, which is good because more troops mean less health for you. They execute stealth almost flawlessly, even though you can't always sneak around a fight when you get the chance to it is so awesome you feel like a true badass

Now that I've covered the combat mechanics, let's move onto sound and graphics. I bought this game on PC and it looks stellar you can tell how much time and care went into designing the areas in this game they all look stellar. Now there is one problem which is particularly annoying every now and then when looking at characters there will be an odd texture pop in which just breaks the immersion of the game. The same thing happens with sound. In cut scenes the sound will just randomly stop for a few moments, then come back in leaving you utterly confused and making you miss all of the important dialogue in the cut scene. ( I found out after some searching that the texture pop ins have to do with the Id 5 engine and not my computer so yarg valid complaint.)

I feel like I've gone over all I need to go over the game does an okay job handling the shooting and a stellar job with stealth. I feel that the graphical problems just happen way too much for it to go unmentioned same with the sound. When the sound shorts out it just does a great job of taking away any and all relevance and importance in a cut scene you only hear half the conversation when it happens. Now that I've wrapped things up I give Wolfenstein: The New Order an 8.7/10 it is a worthwhile game with some replay value to it you won't regret buying it. Please let me know what you think about this game and my review of it and as always I'll see you online.


Post a Comment